Jan 12, 1918



Record Number of Wounded Men Come Into Camp


Wounded from overseas have been coming into Upton since shortly after the signing of the armistice, but the past week has seen the largest influx ever for that length of time. The major portion of the local populace is now a gold-striped one, and the old inhabitants who fought out the Great War on the Yaphank sector are enjoying many thrills second-hand in the true tales the lads bring back. One, two and three wounded chevrons are becoming as thick as mosquitoes in the height of the Upton season.

The largest single detachment of wounded men to arrive came in from New York on a special train one week ago today. There are about seven hundred in the party, most of them convalescent. Nearly fifty stretcher cases were in the party, however. Every day from then, trains have discharged large numbers, one party of three hundred being among the late arrivals, and another of five hundred.

Welfare organizations have seen the opportunity to welcome the wounded men in a substantial way and henceforth it is probable that every lad who returns here from France will feel the warm Upton spirit through the agency of one of the societies. Hot coffee and cigarettes are served on the train. Knights of Columbus have been busy distributing cigarettes. The Red Cross proves a wonderful host at once.

The convalescent home of the Red Cross has been the most picturesque spot in camp in some time, especially the night of big troop arrivals. Packed to the doors with veterans, someone crutches, some with empty sleeves, others with arms in black slings, many of them wearing the long trousers and British overcoat, indicating a term in some British Hospital. There are a number with decorations.

On arrival day they are registered at the Base and the field records filed. Every man is then, according to the prevailing system, assigned to a ward in the hospital, examined and classified. If a convalescent is able to take care of himself, he is soon sent for the hospital ward to the convalescent center around Nineteenth Street. If he needs medical or surgical care still, he is placed in a ward for that purpose. There is a probability that this system may be reversed, and all men first sent to a central place and there classified, those needing hospital attention than being sent to the Base. Such a change would eliminate much of the paper work now resulting from examination of many men ostensibly fit for discharge.

Reconstruction experts have been looking over the hospital in the last week with a view to starting vocational and reconstruction work with the wounded.




Camp Upton united Tuesday of last week with the entire country in paying honor to Col. Theodore Roosevelt who died at his home in Oyster Bay. A squad from the Forty-second Infantry was used in firing a twenty-one gun salute, three guns volleying together in ten-second intervals. The salute was fried from headquarters hill. Camp flags were at half-mast. Col. Roosevelt visited Upton early in its history, spending one Sunday here, addressing large audiences of soldiers and inspecting the training of the 77th Division.




Corp'l Stanley DeKan is the star reader of the 15th Company. He has read more books than the American Library Association has on its index. One morning recently he was discovered sleeping with three books beneath his pillow, one on the floor to the left of his bunk and two on the floor to the right of his bunk. He can keep five or six books going at a time without any trouble whatever.


Camp Shops To Train Wounded


Convalescent soldier in Camp Upton are to be given an opportunity to learn trades through a system of practical courses arranged by Capt. William Donohue, the new Camp Morale Officer, with the assistance of Maj. Speer, Commanding Camp Utilities, Capt. Fleming, of the Cooks' and Bakers' School; Capt. Bouton, Reclamation Division, and Lieut. Doundera, Camp Utilities.

Those in the convalescent center who wish to take advantage of the exceptional instruction offered will be taken into the shops of the Camp Utilities and into the Cooks' and Bakers' School, as they prefer.

Under the most expert and practical workmen, they will be taught the fundamentals of any of the occupations being pursued in camp.

If their bent is for electricity, they can enter the electrical shop. The shoe shop will be open to them, or they can learn to wield saw, plane and chisel in the up-to-date carpenter shop. Blacksmithing, with the most improved tools and forges, will be taught at the smithy. Instruction in sheet metal work will be given in the tinning shop. A first class course in cooking and baking will be presented at the Cooks' and Bakers' School.

Col. Hyatt, who commands the Convalescent Center, has discovered that a number of men who are recovering from wounds and illness and expect to be in camp for some time, are eager to learn some sort of a trade which will enable them to earn a better livelihood when they are finally discharged. It is believed that they will welcome this plan of Capt. Donohue.

Men who cannot walk or who would be unduly tired by a long walk will be taken to and from the shops in automobiles.




Hold on to your honorable discharge when you get it. It will mean a lot to you outside, and you don't want to lose it, by hook or crook. Place it anywhere you can get at it easily and be sure of its remaining in your possession. It's valuable!


Gen. Bell's Death Shocks Camp Upton


The news last Wednesday that Maj. Gen. J. Franklin Bell, commander of the Department of the East, had succumbed to heart disease in the Presbyterian Hospital, New York, caused sincere mourning in this cantonment, into which the General had put so much of his life during the past year. He came here when the camp opened to take charge of training the 77th Division and except for three months spent in France observing, directed the entire work of whipping into fighting shape the draft soldiers from New York who composed the famous Metropolitan outfit. Much of the General Bell's last work here was in beautifying the camp. The wounded men who trained here and are now returning express great surprise at the improved aspect of the entire camp. A large part of the improvement is the result of General' tireless efforts.

He went from here to take command of the Eastern Department. Gen. Bell's military career included West Point, from which he graduated in 1878, direction of reorganizing the army schools at Fort Leavenworth and in 1906 a place as chief of staff of the Army.

His death was a complete surprise, as he had been taken to the hospital for observation and it was not realized his condition was serious. He was 63 years of age.




The splendid service rendered soldiers about to be let out of the army by the U.S. Bureau of Employment here is instanced by a report from Washington that already 84,284 men have found jobs through the agency. The creation here recently for a Camp Upton Bureau for Returning Soldiers will enable the Bureau to give even greater benefits to Upton Lads. This Bureau will co-operate with the U.S. Employment Service, to give information on employment possibilities to soldiers ready for release from service. A committee has been formed, composed of welfare society heads. Any welfare worker in camp can give information concerning employment service. A series of educational lectures is planned, as follows: Jan. 13-17, "The Soldier and the Farm"; Jan. 20-24, "Our Merchant Marine"; Jan. 27-31, "The Civil Service." Special talks on vocational guidance will be given. More concerning the Bureau will be given in Trench and Camp from time to time.




The 378th and 379th Motor Truck Companies, through their commanding officer, Capt. W.D. Cronkhite, entertained twenty-five men from the Convalescent Center at dinner in their barracks last Sunday. The Salvage Company, commanded by Capt. Bouton, also entertained twenty-five convalescents.

The hosts were assisted by a number of their ladies.

Music was provided by a new player piano. The entertainment was varied and interesting.




Capt. Donohue, the new Morale Officer, is planning to have more dances than heretofore given in camp for enlisted men. A dance at the 15th Street Hostess House last Wednesday evening was very well attended.




Samual J. Tyack, "The Boy Samivel," as he is sometimes hight, has left Camp Upton after over a year's service. Being under age, he was unable to get into the regular outfit and has done his no mean part partially through the channels of Trench and Camp, for which Organ of O.D. he had work as circulation manager. "Sammy" begins an educational career as a student in Tilton Preparatory Academy, Tilton, New Hampshire. Hundreds of soldier here who have known him wish him the best o'luck.




The Liberty Theatre here is now one of two camp playhouses in the country managed by regularly commissioned officers. Lieut. Frank V. Gilson, one time well-known theatricalist, has taken over the War Department house on the Mall and will lead the winter drive against ennuiand blues which was discontinued for four days to allow certain improvements much needed. Lieut. Gilson succeeds Harry Bailey, who returns to civilian theatrical pursuits in New York City. Harry, incidentally, is known by 'em all in Times Square and vicinity.

His Successor began soldiering over twenty years ago, having been prominently identified with the Massachusetts Guard. On September 23, 1892, he enlisted in Company B, Sixth Massachusetts and rose rapidly, becoming captain of the company after a brief service. He served in the Spanish American war and retired from the militia in 1916 with the brevet rank of major. For years he was captain of the campion rifle team in the Massachusetts guards and had taken other shooting honors. The Lieutenant plans extensive remodeling for the Liberty, to include moving the picture booth nearer the stage to give more satisfactory projection, raising the first eight rows of seats, reconstructing the orchestra pit and other improvements. The theatre has hithero been managed by civilian employees of the War Department.




Wearing of silver chevrons is mandatory for men in Upton entitled to the make of home soldiering, by an order from camp headquarters recently issued. A large number of both officers and enlisted men have waived the right to wear the badges hitherto but the new order, which is an incorporation of the one issued by Washington, marks the chevrons a part of the uniform. There is some speculation as to whether or not, since the striped are declared part of the uniform, they will be issued by the Government to those entitled to wear them. Those who now wear them have purchased them from their own store of change, in many instances not large.

The order reads as follows:



Washington, December 30, 1918.


General Orders

No. 148

Subparagraphy (c), paragraph 1, General Orders, No. 6, War Department, 1918, as amended by Section IV, General Orders, No.53, War Department, 1918, and by Section II, General Orders, No. 122, War Department, 1918, is further amended by adding the following:

The gold, blue and silver war service chevrons are a part of the uniform and will be worn by all concerned as prescribed in paragraph 74 1/2, Special Regulations, No. 41.

(421.7, A.G.O.)

By Order of the Secretary of War:

                          PEYTON C. MARCH

                            General, Chief of Staff.



      The Adjutant General.

2. The above will be strictly complied with by all members of this command.

     By order of Col. Latrobe:

                               ROBERT E. JONES,

                                    Liet. Col., Infantry,

                                            Executive Officer



      Adjutant General,


Honor Uniform To The End Advises New Morale Head


Words heartening and encouraging to soldiers who have been discharged are about to leave camp are now being addressed by camp officers. Various camp officers are acting thus as spokesmen of Uncle Sam before his nephews return again to civil pursuits.

Capt. Donohue, camp morale officer, inaugurated the practice, speaking to a large assemblage in the Y.M.C.A. auditorium just recently. Trench and Camp is glad to print his address. Subsequent ones will embody many of the same idea. The Captain's talk follows:

" I want to take about three minutes of your time, men, just to bring to your attention a few things of much importance to you right now, and will be for a little time. You, as soldiers, have performed your duty, and a great duty it has been. Most of you had to sacrifice a great deal since the first day you put on your uniform. But right now you are the man of the hour. The nation looks to you as the real men of the world, and the United States is proud of you. Most of you-I hope all of you- are being released from the Army with an honorable discharge and you will find when you get back to civilian life that this honorable discharge will help you. Your family will be proud of it, and you will find also that it will help you in a very material way.

"All through the period of the war men in uniform have been honored by civilians. You men will have to admit that you have been the object of the greatest respect since you have worn the uniform.

" it means a great deal to this country that its Army shall preserve its well-earned reputation and respect in the eyes of the people, and I want to appeal to you now, straight from the shoulder, as man to man, to continue to wear your uniform as a good soldier as long as you do wear it. You have the privilege of wearing the uniform three months if you desire. I know that a few of you will wear it as long as that, but most of you will wear it for a while, at least, after you are home, and it will mean a lot to you and this country if you will be careful and not do a single thing that will bring dishonor upon your uniform, yourself, and you country and cast a shadow on the honorable discharge which you carry in your pocket.

"Men, as long as you wear that uniform, respect the thing that it represents. Be military in you bearing. Do not do things that soldiers do not do. American soldiers are noted first and foremost because that are always MEN. Don't go back to the city and be careless of your appearance, your bearing and your actions. Wear the red chevron on your left arm that shows that you have been honorably discharged. You will find some men who have not been honorably discharged, and the chevron will distinguish you from them. That distinction, you will find, will help you out.

"Right now, hundreds of soldiers are advertising for job in the New York papers and in nearly everyone the soldier mentions that he have been honorably discharged.

"Men, as long as you wear that uniform, be soldiers, first and last. When you jump back into civilian life you will find that you are held in high regard for the work you have done. Don't change that regard to disgust.

"And just a few last words to the non-commissioned officers who are going out. Since the very beginning of this Army, the non-commissioned officer has been the backbone of the whole thing. When the mobilization first began, the regular army detailed non-commissioned officers to all the camps to train the raw recruit. Since that time the whole success of the Army has depended very largely on the non-com. I ask all of you non-commissioned officers to remember what your duty has been in the army and after you get out I want you to continue to be the man who sets the example. Exert all the influence you can over men and help to keep them going right."




Capt. Donohue, the Camp Morale Officer, made use of a portion of the Camp Upton Benefit Fund to entertain convalescent soldiers from the Base Hospital at the Liberty Theatre on Thursday, Friday and Saturday evenings.

The men with the wound chevrons were taken in groups from the Hospital to the theatre in ambulances and were guests at the regular performances. Their enthusiasm left no doubt as to the extent of appreciation for the unexpected treat.




The 15th Company boasts of another record-breaker besides Serg't Harry Mayorkas. He is Mess Serg't Louis Donaldson, who claims to hold the marathon championship in serving beans- 178 portions in 2 minutes 53 1/5 seconds. The performance was timed on Cook Bill Bayer's "wrist watch." That watch was once the village clock in some place or another where Bayer happened to be staying. It is a foot in diameter, weights as much as a typewriter and runs on the same time schedule as the Long Island Railroad. There is no question about it's being a good stop watch to break records with.




Capt. Monagan, of the 45th Company, is a firm believer in the old maxim that the way to a mans efficiency lies through his digestive apparatus, and it has always been the policy to give his men the best the Government allowed in the way of food. His company mess hall is immaculate in its cleanliness, and the food is always cooked to a turn.

The attitude of a captain is usually reflected in the spirit of his men, and Mess Sergeant Len Scholl shares Capt. Monagan's concern for the welfare of the men of the 45th. Last weekend Len was in the city on pass. While out on a little party Friday night, he suddenly realized that in making out his menu for the meals over the weekend he had omitted to state what the boys should have for supper on Saturday.

Imagine the surprise of Mess Sergeant Scholl's second in command, Corporal Jack Callahan, when he received a telegram from the city on Saturday morning. It read: "have fried oysters for supper Saturday. Len."




Only officers who are to be retained in the service may now have leaves of absence, according to a recent war Department order.

The cicular states that "No leaves will be granted to officers who are about to leave the service." This applies to temporary officers who are to be discharged or who may resign, as well as to officers of the Regular Army who may resign or be returned to inactive duty on the retired list.


Echoes of 77th's Scrap With Jerry Are Brought Back


Men and officers of the old Seventy-seventh Division, who trained her for the wonderful scrap that gave Jerry in France, are coming back in large numbers and there are some thrilling stories going the rounds about the conduct of the regiments. Several members of the famous "Lost Battalion" have been in the hospital, including Chas. Brucato, Co. A, 308th. "maj. Whittlessey (now Colonel), of the outfit, was sure some officer Over There," says Brucato. "Every man would have gone through hell for him, and believe me we did that Argone forest and gave Fritz some surprise."

Maj. E. Ormonde Power, commander of the Thrid Battalion, 306th Infantry, was the first field officer of the division to arrive in camp. He was invalided home after severe illness with pleurisy and influenza contracted through the strain of long continued fightin. He spoke higly as an officer of the 77th's work, saying they proved great fighters and splendid all-round soldiers.

Serg't Maj. Phillip Cashman, who belonged as a clerk to Brig. Gen. Evan M. Johnson's staff when he lead the division across, has also returned during the past week. He tells the story of the headquarters' leaving, passing through an air raid at Dover and being shelled in Eperlecques, where the division headquarters was first established Over There.


Forty-second Going After Sport Laurels


The 42nd Infantry is out for every camp athletic championship. The old established camp organization will have to keep on their toes to match the enthusiasm of the regulars. No sooner was the boxing tournament announced than the 42nd entered thirteen men in all weights.

The Regiment also boasts of a crack basketball team and has among its men good athletic material to burn. Under the supervision of Lieut. Ethan A.H. Shepley, the Athletic Officer, it is going after all the sport laurels in camp.




Few of the thousands of boys who have been cheered up by "Doctor of the Blues" Ed Schuler, Y.M.C.A. auditorium attache, realize that his title has come down from the old days of the gold rush to Alaska. He was known during many a trip over first-bitten trails and the Chilcoot Pass as "Doctor of the Blues"- and for the same reason as here in Camp.

Mr. Schuyler had the gold fever badly in those exciting days of the '96 and '97. His father had left him a little money, so he seized upon the chance to try his luck in the frozen fastness of Alaska. His party was the fifth to make the famous trip over Chilcoot Pass, building boats and shooting down the White Horse Rapids.

After some time prospecting at Copper River and elsewhere and a short stay in Dawson, Mr. Schuyler returned to Seattle and opened the Pioneer House there. The lure of Alaska drew his back and he was just in time to hear of the Cape Nome fine. Instead of staking a claim there, he listened to the story of an Indian about Katchiboo Sound and made a fruitless effort there to discover fold in paying quantities.

During the Spanish-American war Mr. Schuyler enlisted in the navy as a druggiest. Afterwards he was with the Hegeman Corporation and opened many of their stores in New York and Brooklyn.

He celebrated the New Year with the receipt of his 309th letter from boys he has known here.

Mr. Schuyler;s present position is at the "Y" Auditorium, where he is usually to be found. On the wall of his room there are several theatrical pictures which come down from his boyhood days, when he was with Ed Harrigan and played in stock companies. He later had the People's Theatre in Seattle and took talent to Alaska in the gold days.




Discharged! Discharged! I hear the words

With rather solemn air,

For while I've looked for it so long,

I somehow seem to care-

Discharged! It's ringing in my ears

Like some far, sad farewell,

And somehow, why, I hate to go.

You said it, Peace is-well-

I'm not sure ir is, at that,

But, any rate, you bet,

I know I'll often think of camp

And fellows that I met!


Personnel Boys Go Off Visitin'

Serg't L.C. Kellogg,

Personnel Adjutant's Detachment


First Class Pvt. Harold B. Weed spent the New Year's holiday's with his folks in his home town, Bridgeport, Conn. As a rule Harold is of a retiring nature, but upon his return to camp life again the Bridgeporter said that he had a very enjoyable time.

Pvt. Gilbert Clarke visited his folks in Middletown, Conn. It was a little too cold for Gil, who is the town's champion motorcycle rider to take his Excelsior out for a spin, so he spent his time in other ways too numerous to mention.

With his face wreathed in smiles Serg't David Scobie returned to camp with the glad news that finally he had been married. Due to the rush which generally is the case around Christmas time, Dave had trouble in having the knot tied, but at lst succeeded in Brooklyn. Their Sergeant then enjoyed a short but very enjoyable honeymoon. Miss Tucker was the happy bride.

Serg't Chauncey D. Todd returned to camp after spending the Christmas holidays in Brooklyn, with his pockets bulging with pictures of the fair sex. Evidently the Argentine cattle raiser had "SOME TIME" while on his short furlough- as his face beamed with complete satisfaction while showed his friends photos of his newly acquired acquaintances.

First Class Pvt. Morris Davis, the popular printer of the Bronx, again favored this section of the the Big City with his presence over the New Year's holidays. Morris was swamped with invitations and in practically every instant was accompanied by the "one and only." Oh, yes, fellows, he has one, but just a few of his most intimate friends know it. Fair enough.

Ser't Eugene McLaughlin, the humorist of the Detachment, has the time of his young life while in Brooklyn over the New Year's festivities.

Serg't Waronoff, from reports, paid many a visit to a certain street in Brooklyn, where a favorite young lady of his resides.

For the first time in his young life Pvt. Merle Berry, of the little hamlet of Waterville, Me., visited the Big City over the New Year's. From the condition in which Merle returned to camp we should judge that he spent most of his time counting the stories in the big buildings.

Serg't Kutten, who was the young lady that you visited in Brooklyn recently?

Pvt. Kantrovich was a visitor to his home town, New Haven, over the New Year's holidays.

Pvt. Joe manes, of Brooklyn, did not pay many visits outside of the home of his lady of dreams over New Year's. From well-known sources we hear that the lady in question is a quiet and interesting little dame. We don't blame you, Joe, best of luck.




George A. Peck, the sport editor of Trench and Camp, is recovering from a slight attack of the "flu." He was taken to the Base Hospital as week ago Monday, although, in his usual cheerful way, he refused to believe the medical officers when they told him he was ill.

His presence and advice were missed in the many conferences on Camp athletics which have been held the past week.

Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2022 Intrado Corporation. All rights reserved.