W. Bartlett House



Old home of Judge Willard Bartlett, on west side of Bartlett Road. . Longwood Public Library, CS 9-10

Bartlett's Pond, located adjacent to Bartlett Park and Spring Lake Golf Course.
Longwood Public Library, CS 9-4
Richard M. Bayles on boat

Howell - Buckingham - Bartlett house

John Howell who came from Southold originally owned this property. The lake on the property now called Spring Lake was known as Howell's pond as early as 1739.

After John Howell's death, the property was passed on to his son Reeve Howell who was a patriot during the American Revolution. Reeve Howell married was married to Bathsheba Clark, they had seven children. Reeve Howell died in 1802 and left the property to his son Daniel. Daniel and his wife, had one child, a daughter named Abigail.

Abigail married John Buckingham. Later they had a son Daniel Buckingham. At the age of 17 Daniel went to Port Jefferson where he became an apprentice to shipbuilder John W. Mather. After 18 months he grew bored with his "dull" life and went to work with his father who as a wheelwright fixed and built mills. In 1843 he finally found the adventure he was seeking. He went on a whaling voyage from Sag Harbor that took him to the Azores. A later trip in 1846 would take him around Cape Horn bound for the Pacific.

When Daniel's father John died in 1852, Daniel was left to take charge of the farm. In 1857 Daniel and his mother leased the home and farm to William Bartlett a famous New York City lawyer. Bartlett increased the size of the farm to 1000 acres by buying additional acreage. Bartlett became legendary for building a spur from the railroad, which extended onto his estate. He kept his workers busy by having them build several stone walls on his estate. His son Willard a noted lawyer and Judge on the New York Court of Appeals became the next owner of the land. The pond near the house now became known as Bartlett Pond. His daughters Maude and Agnes became the last owners of the estate. All three houses including the barn were mysteriously burned in 1965. The land is now being used as a golf course called Spring Lake.
Horses at the Bartlett farm.

Middle Island in Furore Over Ownership of and Bordering Bartlett’s Pond, 1928

Road Bar Scored As Farmers Seek Water For Stock, 1929

Newspaper stories

Southside Signal
July 15, 1871

The “Fourth” was celebrated here in a more than usually liberal manner. Mr. Bartlett gave at his residence, a brilliant display of fire works in the evening; also refreshments and music in profuse variety were placed at the disposal of the two or three hundred natives and others who were present.. A good time was the verdict of all present. At the same time another display of like festivities was in progress at Artist Lake under the auspices of Mr. Carpenter, whose residence adjoins the lake.

Port Jeff Echo
November 13, 1915

Friend of Judge Bartlett was at his country place over Sunday enjoying the autumnal beauty of that enchanting retreat.

Port Jeff Echo
November 9, 1918

Howard Swezey is cutting and carting to the railroad quite a number of spiels for government work at Greenport. Besides timber from his won farm, he is working a considerable tract and Judge Bartlett’s extensive property.

January 14, 1922

Judge Willard Bartlett, and his family spent New Year’s Day at his farm in this place. Sixty years ago he was a prominent figure among the boys who gathered on this pond to enjoy the skating when it was good on holiday occasions.

January 25, 1925

Willard Bartlett former Chief justice of the Court of Appeals and law partner of Elihu Root died at his home in Brooklyn last Saturday. He was 78 years of age.

In 1858 Bartlett came with his father and the family and settled at Bartlett, which is between Coram and Middle Island.

Justice Willard Bartlett.


Information compiled by
Nicole Gudz

Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2022 Intrado Corporation. All rights reserved.