What's New?

 
This page is designed to give you instant access to new and updated information, as it is added to our site.
 

The World War II Memorial project is completed

July 17 - Veterans Form (for book to be distributed June 16, 2012)

April 25th - June 19, 2010 Date for dedication of the Vietnam, Korean, World War I, Civil War and American Revolution War Monuments to be Dedicated at Bartlett Pond Park

 

July 27- List of Longwood Veterans of Desert Storm, Iraq and Afghanistan - If you see any name missing from our list that should be added, please contact us. Follow us on our facebook page- Longwood High School veterans

May 20th - Our selection of local history books that are available. These books can be ordered from the Longwood Society for Historic Preservation.

Our new project is to honor the men and women who lived in the Longwood community and served during the Korean War. If you have any information about any of the people listed please contact us.

May 20, 2011- Newsday story about dedication of memorials at park

May 17, 2011- Monuments at Bartlett Pond Park dedicated.

May 16, 2011- Pearl Button Business Recalled by Fragments Found at Yaphank

April 16 - 2011 Longwood students and staff volunteering during the annual Brookhaven clean up day.

Feb 17 - Updated pictures of the
1. Middle Island Yaphank road
2. Prosser's farm
3. The Hurtin house

4. Ole B. Balling, the other artist at Artist Lake
-5. Old views of Middle I-sland circa 1900

Feb. 16 - Mrs. Josephine Lundy taught at the one room schoolhouse at Ridge, NY from 1936 - 1942. At age 93 she returned to her former school house to describe to students f the Longwood jhs what it was like to teach in a one room school house. In this clip she describes what it was like to teach during the great depression. This video was taken in October 2003. There will be more clips added with our interview of Mrs. Lundy.

Feb. 14th - On September 7, 2008 the 77th Division has its colors cased at the Brookhaven national Lab. It was fitting that the division had its colors retired at the former Camp Upton where the unit was first organized in 1917. This video shows the retiring of the division.

January 7th - Click here to View Video of students working on tombstone project at the Coram Baptist Cemetery

January 5th 2010 - The late Frank Lyon took video of the Coram area and vicinity in the 1950s. Over the next few weeks we will be putting up video clips of Coram. 

Video # 1 - Fingar's store was on the south side of the Middle Country road, by the Home depot shopping center

Video # 2 - Last day of school, old Coram School house 1942, opening of the New Coram school on Coram Mount Sinai road.

Video # 3 -  Middle Country road and views of Port Jefferson after storm

Video # 4 -  Coram Fire Department parade down Middle Country road.

Video # 5 Coram Fire Department parade 1950s.

Video # 6 - Coram Fire Department

The 77th Division trained at Camp Upton (Yaphank) before being sent to France. Below is film taken of the division during the Meuse- Argonne Offensive from Sept. 26 - Nov. 11, 1918

Video # 1 - Members of the Lost Battalion marching eastward down the Charlevaux Ravine out of the 'Pocket' the morning of Oct. 18, 1918 - The Lost Battalion taking roll just prior to the official picture being snapped Oct. 8, 1918 - major Charles Whittlesey, 308th Inf. and Major J.F. McKinney, 307th Inf. talking after the rescue of the Lost Battalion by McKinney's men - General Alexander 77th Division - General Lenihan, 77th Division - French woman and boy pump water for a 77th Division Doughboy

Video # 2  A 77th Division first aid station set up in a captured German bunker. - officers and men examine a blasted German dugout. - A patrol passes a dead German soldier in the Argonne forest. - German prisoners being transported from Chatel Chehery under 77th Division MP's. - 308th Infantry and 302nd Trench Mortar personnel advance on a German position in the Argonne.

Video # 3 - Supply Trains of the 305th M.G. Battalion, 306th Infantry and 302nd engineers, along with French artillery passing through Chateau Thierry.

Video # 4 - The 306th Field Artillery passing through burning Buzancy - 306th Field Artillery guns firing from hidden positions near Abri du Crochet - 308th M.G.

 

November 27, 2009 -   The Gus Neuss Archives of articles related to the Bund at Yaphank

November, 16 2009 - Veterans Day celebration held at Bartlett Pond.

August 29 - news articles culled from some of the old newspapers;
                                           Middle Island News Articles
                                           Coram News Articles

August 28, 2009 - Alberta, a familiar face in Coram

August 27, 2009 - The East Middle Island schoolhouse

August 20, 2009 - Picture of the Davis cows crossing Middle Country road.

July 10, 2009 - The late local historian Thomas R. Bayles wrote a local history column for the Patchogue and Long Island Advance. Our latest project is to put up the hundreds of stories written by Mr. Bayles. These articles come from the 13 notebooks kept by Mr. Bayles. It will take us some time to complete this project and as of right now we have some articles from books 4, 9 & 10 completed. As the rest are typed up they will be added to the page.

July 1, 2009 - Picture of the West Middle Island class of 1932. Do you have pictures of any of the old one room schoolhouses? If so please contact us as we are working on a history of the Longwood school district.

May 15th - North Shore Sun article on students putting in Revolutionary War headstones at local cemetery.

April 10 - Pictures added to the Swezey House in Middle Island, and the one room school house # 17

March 30th - The students of the JHS social studies classes are working on the Veterans tombstone project for American Revolution and Civil War Veterans.

Feb. 12, 2009 - Dr. Isaac Hulse 1797-1856, was a Naval Doctor, famous for his work with Yellow Fever

Feb. 11, 2009 - Many people have asked about the home on Mill Road that was home to the Casa Bordone, a fine Italian Restaurant. While we are still looking for more information, we are posting what we have as of right now.

Fe. 9, 2009 - The old Hagen Inn/ Hunter's Inn was a general store and hotel for Middle Island visitors.

Feb. 3, 2009 - Middle Island/ Yaphank resident John R. Dayton's 1913 obituary.

Feb. 1, 2009 - The memoirs of Talbot Brewer of the 306th machine gun battalion.

Dec. 31, In the 1960s Alma Davis wrote a short sketch on the history of Coram.

Dec. 30, The desk of Goldsmith Davis is in the Metropolitan Museum of Art. Here is the story of the History of the desk.

Dec. 29 - Middle Island Man still cutting cordwood at age 95. From the Patchogue Advance, Oct. 14, 1965

Dec. 27 - Ridge Cordwood Played Big part in Early Brick Making Industry - A story by Thomas Bayles, written for the Patchogue Advance - Feb. 25, 1947

December 11, 2008 - Babe Ruth stopped at the Coram Inn on his way back to the city leaving a huge impression.

November 13, 2008 - The telephone girls of Camp Upton.

October 5, 2008 - Looking for residents who lived in the Longwood community and were Veterans of the Vietnam era. Go to time periods page.

September 23, 2008 - Colonial Cattle ear-marks

September 21, 2008 - Billy's Windmill Restaurant in Coram

September 20 - Aerial views of the Coram drive in and surrounding area.

September 19, 2008 - Pictures of the Ridge Post Office

Sept 18, 2008 - Sales Brochure for the selling of original plots at Lake Panamoka.


September 13, 2008-          Joseph Rovagna becomes Postmaster of Coram

                                            The Middle Island Game Farm
                                            The Doctor in Colonial Days
                     Middle Island in Furore Over Ownership of and Bordering Bartlett’s Pond, 1928
                     Road Bar Scored As Farmers Seek Water For Stock, 1929

September 12, 2008 - Cider making at the Old Rainbow Ranch

September 11 - A list of the German POWs held at Camp Upton near the end of the war.

September 10, 2008 - A Thomas R. Bayles 1949 story of then longtime Middle Island resident   Jerusha (Munsell) Bubb.

September 9, 2008 - The Coram Community Center opens in 1939

September 8 - On September 7th the 77th Regional Readiness Command returned to the former Camp Upton (Brookhaven National Laboratory) where in a touching ceremony the Command was deactivated and the regimental flag cased.

Aug. 28 - Who kissed Betty Scudder? A story written in 1857.

August 26- Myrtle Fingar was Postmaster of Coram from 1937 - 1967. The following was from a dinner given in her honor to celebrate her service to the Coram community.

August 25 - The Cathedral Pines Park was acquired from George Prosser. These are the deeds through the years that made up the Prosser farm.

August 24 - An Indian settlement was found in Middle Island in 1985. Fred Wilson knew and wrote about the site in 1900 (85 years earlier). An interesting article about early Indian villages.

August 17  - Benjamin T. Hutchison was the Brookhaven Town Clerk and Postmaster for the Middle Island area for many years.

August 16 - Why is Coram Hills called Coram Hills?

July 5th - A story of the Coram legend, Sheriff Richard W. Smith

July 3rd - The old town pump at Coram is no more

July 2nd - Amelia Augusta Smith Norton was born in 1839, this story was written by her when she was 78. Her story relates different accounts of revolutionary activity in the Coram area.

Oct. 12th - Our next student research project is at the printer - The title is,  Early Longwood Settlers and their role in the American War for Independence. The book contains biographical information on the Patriots from our area. It also includes Revolutionary tales about our area, a diary and much more.

Sept. 8th - The Brush family lived in Coram at the corner of !!2 and Middle Country Road. Mrs. Dorothy Henry has posted a picture of the home and a story on her family that lived there.

July 27th - Our new project is to honor the men and women who lived in the Longwood community and served during the Korean War. If you have any information about any of the people listed please contact us.

July 15, 2007 - Who is Lucy Smith?

July 6, 2007 - The World War II Memorial project is completed

July 3 - The Ancestry of Richard W Smith of Coram from 1657 to 1857 with Ancestral records Copied by the Reverend Smith Dayton Jan, 11 1853

June 14, - Customs and Habits Of Indians Recalled - by Thomas R. Bayles

June 11, 2007 - The Indians of Long Island, from a pamphlet by Thomas R. Bayles

June 9, 2007 - "Nessie" makes an appearance at Artist Lake

March 30th - Pictures of students at the one room school house at Ridge (1945)

December 17th - The 1810 Brookhaven Town Census - In two formats - Alpha and Order of Visitation

December 11th - The World War I diary of Clarence Rhebergen who served with the 305th Infantry Supply Company

November 22, 2006 - Mrs. Anne Nauman takes us back on a trip to the Rainbow Ranch. This was her family's farm in Middle Island. Take a trip and see what growing up in Middle Island was like in the 1930s.

November 19, 2006 - In 1900 the Patchogue Advance did a story on Mary Louise Booth- who was raised in Yaphank and went on to be the first female Editor of Harper's Bazaar.

October 3, 2006 - An interview that was done in 1979 with Hazel Clarissa Randall Wells

August, 24, 2006 - Elsie Manzoni tells what it was like to grow up on a farm in Coram. Do you have a story that you would like to tell? You can write it yourself or let us ask questions and we will edit it for you.

January 2, 2006- The story of the "Old Country Road"

January 1, 2006 - The story of the old Hutchinson Homestead, which served as the Post Office and as a tavern for many years.

December 18, 2005 - Sheriff John Ed Davis had an interesting collection of articles. This 1936 article talks about a turnkey -

A second article is titled Weather Report In from Yaphank John Ed Davis and James Coomes attempt to outdo each other

December 17, - 2005 - Joseph Randall experiments in growing fruit on his Middle Island farm.

December 16, 2005Prosser Pines, Mid- Island Mail news article about the early attempts to save the park

December - 14 - 2005 - John Jones of Yaphank held the position of election Inspector for 43 years

November- 8 - 2005 - Hunter Sekine who lived in Coram and owned a farm where he planted exotic trees from Japan. Here are three stories telling about his experimental farm.

November 5 -2005 - John "Ed" Davis was the longtime constable in Yaphank. This interview appeared in the Middle Island Mail in March 1936.

October 12 - 2005 - Not everyone was happy with the coming of the Long Island Railroad. This is a news article recalling the Long Island Forest Fires and the Railroad Wars of 1845.

September 22, 2005 - The Glover family were longtime Yaphank residents. The family farm took up much of Yaphank Avenue south of the railroad tracks. Family member Jon Backer has written a history of the family farm.

August 6, 2005 - List of people in Brookhaven Town who agreed to set their slaves free (The Act of 1788) This list also includes the names of the slaves set free.

July 31 - 2005 - The 8th grade class of 1947 - Before clicking attempt to guess how many 8th grade students were in the class of 1947

July 30 -2005 - Updates to the Obituary page

July 28 2005 World War I Veterans from the Longwood Community. The stories of the men who served from our area during the Great War. If you have any information about any of these veterans please contact us.

July 19, 2005 - The drawings and story of Paul Lameyer, a detainee at the Camp Upton POW Camp

July 15, 2005 - Camp Siegfried Postcards

July 3, 2005 - Trench and Camp - August 26, 1919 - The Army newspaper at Camp Upton

June 29, 2005 - The National Archives sent us the report made by the Swiss Legation about the POW camp at Camp Upton

June 28, 2005 - We have added the years 1891 -1909 from the Patchogue Advance to our newspaper page.

October 2, 2004 - A short history of baseball in the Longwood community

July 4th, 2004 - The World War One  letters of Norm L. Feeter. Private Feeter was a member of Company A, 305th Machine Gun Battalion.


October 24, 2003 - Jean Lauer's History of the Longwood Estate


October 12, 2003 - We are now compiling a page with helpful hints for researchers. We have started with how to access military records.

Sept. 10,2003 - The Elusive Legend of Icy Hollow

Sept. 1, 2003 - Gus Neuss has once again completed a story, this time telling of a number of Yaphank fires.
Stories of the fires

New York Times articles about the activities of the Ku Klux Klan on Long Island during the 1920s

The Camp Upton Archives
Copies of New York Times Articles about Camp Upton
Copies of New York Times Articles about the Lost Battalion
The story of Private Harold Spear Young
A tribute to
Private Herbert Clark  307th Infantry-Machine Gun Company

A letter and photos of German POWs who were held at Camp Upton during WWII

 

January 17, 2003 - Longwood Junior High School Students kick off Revolutionary War project.  Using a variety of resources, we have identified over 60 men from the Longwood Community, who were patriots during the American Revolution.  Sixty, 7th Grade students have been assigned to research these men.

Suffolk County Clerk and former social studies teacher Mr. Edward P. Romaine, helped kick off the project with an overview of the county records available to help with the project.  Mr. Romaine gave a brief overview of Revolutionary War incidents that occurred on Long Island. 

Mrs. Sharon A. Pullen, Suffolk County Archivist, shows students the types of records available.  Mrs. Pullen has been instrumental in helping to teach the students how to search for wills and deeds.

 

Here are some of the names of the American Revolutionary Veterans that are currently being researched. 

 

 American Revolutions Biographies currently under construction by Longwood Junior High School Students.

  1. Lt. Isaac Davis
  2. Gershom Brown
  3. Jacob Corwin
  4. Paul Hulse
  5. David Davis
  6. Daniel Overton
  7. William Phillips
  8. Brewster Terry
  9. Nathanial Overton
  10. Messenger Overton
  11. Elijah Davis
  12. Palmer Overton
  13. Elnathan Davis
  14. Thomas Aldrich
  15. Daniel Overton
  16. James Overton
  17. John Overton
  18. David Overton
  19. Gershum Hawkins
  20. Benjamin Overton
  21. Uriah Smith
  22. William Sexton
  23. Elisha Hammond
  24. Daniel Hammond
  25. William Swezy
  26. Daniel Swezy
  27. Christopher Swezy
  28. Steven Swezy
  29. Reeves Howell
  30. Thomas Bayles
  31. Zachariah Hawkins

 

January 7, 2003 - Major update!!  Can you do the Colonial Math?  This is the 1811 Math Workbook, of Middle Island resident Minerva Hutchison.  The book comes from the collection of the late Davis Erhardt.

 

December 5, 2002 - Major update!!  Newspaper achieve added to Yaphank pages featuring newspaper stories dealing with the Bund.

 

 

November 11, 2002 - We would like to take this opportunity to thank all the Veterans that served the United States and especially those who came from our community.  We have actively tried to research all Veterans that lived in our community in the time of war.  If you know of anyone who has served in either Korea or Vietnam and lived in the Longwood Community when they enlisted, please contact us.  As we are attempting to compile a database for these years.

 

The German American Bund,  written by Mr. Gustave Neuss, detailing the history of the German Bund Movement in Yaphank.   

 

November 3, 2002 - THE GOLD RUSH DIARY OF FRANK McCREARY part 2.  This diary completes Mr. McCreary's trip from California to New York.  We would like to give special thanks to Mrs. Grace Shaw for providing and transcribing the diary.  Thanks to Brad Bjorndahl for typing the diary for us.

 

October 10, 2002   - The decade of the 1920's has several nicknames.  It has been most often called "The Roaring Twenties," due to the boom in business.  But the 1920's also saw a boom in membership for the Ku Klux Klan.  We invite you read Gus Neuss's account of the Ku Klux Klan visit to Yaphank.  Ku Klux Klan Visits Yaphank

October 8, 2002  - Longwood's Journey has just added a new addition to the site, "Stories of the Streets".  This new addition will get the story behind the names of the streets.  We start this new addition by adding a story of Ashton Road, to the list of existing stories of Granny Road and Whiskey Road.

We are looking for early photo's for our  "Then and Now, A Photo Journey" and would like to request if anyone has any pictures of the Longwood community prior to the 1970's to please contact us

 

Over the next several months, look forward to "Then and Now, A Photo Journey" to be added to our site.  Currently, we are taking photographs of Longwood today and will be pairing these new photo's with our old historic photo's.  This will allow you to locate where your favorite historic places are located within the district today.   If you have any old photos and would like to share with us, please contact us by email.

 

Click Here For Homepage