LEWIS R. OVERTON HOUSE
|The Overton homestead in Coram is located on the
northeast side of Yaphank Road near the junction of the
Patchouge-Port Jefferson State Highway and Middle Country
Road. It was owned by the Overton family and was bought
on August 4, 1843 by Lewis R. Overton from Sarah
The Overton family consisted of Louis R. Overton, his wife Elizabeth (Davis), and his children.
Mr. Lewis R. Overton was a schoolteacher in the Coram school. He also served as Coram's Postmaster and from 1857-1859, he served as Town Clerk of Brookhaven. His family still has the resolution with the red, green, and blue seals of Brookhaven Town along with some of the family's valuable original furniture. Helen Overton once ran a millinery shop inside the house after the death of Lewis R. Overton.
Elisha Webster Overton had four children. Only three
survived because Louis Sheldon Overton died as a child.
The other remaining Overton children are;
Christina Hawkins had one child named Edwin Webster. As a boy he worked at what became the Coram Rug Factory with his half brother, Elihu Hawkins. Local residents saved cloth and went to the factory where it was made into rag carpets.The factory was located across from the house but now is a short distance west from the original standing place.
The house went through many changes and renovations through the years. After it was purchased in 1843 the house was used as a place to live. As Mr. Louis R. Overton gained new job positions the house changed as well. For a period of time it served as the Post Office and the Town Council House. The wing on the right side of the house was built in 1880. In 1901 the original shingles were removed and siding was put on by the late Mr. Higbe of Coram. In later years the house was renovated and dormer windows were added to the front of the house.
There was some damage and destruction. A large Sycamore tree stood in front of the house. On July 6, 1933 a large wind and hailstorm blew the tree down. Some of the limbs went through the roof and one went threw a trunk containing very old pictures and papers. That limb continued through the house to the bottom floor. The house no longer stands