This home appeared on the west side of the Coram Mount Sinai Road across from where the Coram School is now located. The home appears on the 1858 Chace map as being owned by A. Davis. Alfred Davis was born in 1817 and died in 1870. He was the son of Squire Samuel Davis (born 1785, died 1837). Squire Samuel Davis was the son of Deacon Samuel Davis (born 1764, died 1841) and married in 1783. According to a note in one of the journals of the noted historian Richard M. Bayles it is stated that "Deacon Samuel Davis lived in the house on the West side of Mt. Sinai Road".
The house was purchased from a Davis sometime around 1870 by Civil War Veteran John Elsebough. The 1870 census shows him as living in Coram and the 1873 Beers Comstock Map has him living there.
The Elseboughs lived here until the early 1900's when Luther Chambers purchased the farm. About 1915 Philip Hagenberger who either rented or worked for Luther Chambers occupied it. Luther Chambers was a colorful character commonly referred to as the "Rustic Playboy". The home was destroyed in 1965 by the developer of Musket Ridge.
(December 20, 1839 to February 8, 1916)
John Elsebough died at his home in Coram Feb. 8, of Bright’s disease, of which he had suffered for years. He was born in Frankfort, Germany, December 20, 1839. He came to this country as a boy and settled at Smithtown. For the past 46 years he has resided in Coram. Mr. Elsebough was a veteran of the Civil War, and a member of Lewis O. Conklin Post, G.A.R. In 1862 he married Katherine Lawless of Brooklyn. They celebrated their golden wedding anniversary four years ago last October.
Besides his widow, deceased, is survived by seven children, Mrs. W.I. Halliday, Mrs. John Nash and Henry Elsebough, all of Brooklyn; George Elsebough of Port Jefferson Station; Mrs. E.H. Smith, of Coram; Mrs. Wm Boistridge, of Valley Stream, and Mrs. F.N. Hawkins, of Stonybrook.
Funeral services will be held at the Coram M.E. Church this Friday afternoon, 2 o’clock.