THE L.H. DAVIS HOUSE
The William Davis home stood on the west side of Coram Mt. Sinai Road. It was located in front of the neighborhood complex now called the Hunt Club.
The house was built prior to 1858. A brick dated 1819 was found by Harold Davis when he was removing a part of the old chimney in the cellar. Daniel Davis bought the house and property in 1826 from Azur Raynor and his wife, Judith, for $2,500. The farm consisted of 180 acres. Although Daniel Davis purchased the farm, he did not live there, but he cultivated the soil. Upon his death, the house was passed on to his son, L.H. Davis.
Lester H. Davis also cultivated the farm but did not live there. The farm then passed to his son, William, who was the first Davis to actually live on the property. William Davis had three children, William, Judson, and Harold.
Harold became the owner after his father, William. It was Harold who expanded the house and had electricity installed in the house in 1923. Harold Davis would be elected Supervisor of Highways for Brookhaven Town. Years later the property became a children's camp. It was eventually bought by a developer, who tore the house down and established the Hunt Club on the former farm.