MENU

Old Tunnel Bridge Brings Back Memories

Footnotes to Long Island History

Old Tunnel Bridge Brings Back Memories

 

by

Thomas R. Bayles

 


 

By Thomas R. Bayles

 

            The old tunnel bridge shown in the picture was probably built when the railroad was opened to Greenport in 1844 and has served its purpose during the horse and buggy days.  This is located on the River road that runs from the expressway now under construction east of Yaphank across to the Farm-to-Market road in Mastic.  This is a very old road that was opened in the early years of the settlement of Brookhaven town, and ran to the center at South Haven where the grist mill, Presbyterian church, and Carman's tavern and store were located.  Boats came up the Carman's river from the Great South Bay to   Carman's store for supplies of all kinds, and one of the popular items sold in his store was molasses, which was used in making rum.

            The River road has been widened and improved with many houses located on it but the old railroad bridge still stands, and is only wide enough for a car to pass through, with little room to spare.  Now that the road has a connection with the expressway it will no doubt be torn down and a more suitable bridge erected, and so progress marches on.

Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2018 West Corporation. All rights reserved.