MENU

East Middle Island Schoolhouse (#17)


EAST MIDDLE ISLAND SCHOOL DISTRICT 17


1
Located on the corner of Middle Country Road and Middle Island - Yaphank Road on the west side. Longwood Public Library, Thomas R. Bayles Collection CS 20A-8. Has been relocated to Bartlett Pond Park.


2

East Middle Island School. Longwood Public Library, Thomas R. Bayles Collection CS 20A-5


This one-room schoolhouse was built in 1835 and in use until the two-room schoolhouse opened in 1928 across the street. The property was purchased by a private resident and additions were made to the historic structure. When the Longwood Public Library acquired the building in the 1990's, Library Director Mr. David Clemens made district officials aware that the original one-room schoolhouse comprised the building's structure. As a result, during the demolition of the home, the one-room schoolhouse was preserved and only the additions were destroyed. The building was then moved to Bartlett Park by the Longwood Central School District, where the Longwood Historical Society, spear-headed by Mrs. Connie Kepert, has begun restoration efforts.

Click here to see poster announcing school meeting

zeb
The old Zebrowski home on the Middle Island Yaphank Road before it was taken down. The old school was incorporated as part of the home. When the house was taken down the school building was left intact and moved.. Photo from the Longwood Public Library

dawn
The school house being moved to its new location at the Bartlett Pond Park. Photo from the Longwood Public Library

volunteers
Volunteers shingling the schoolhouse.

shingle
The siding is almost completed.

bartlettfinished
The finished product.map17

Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2018 West Corporation. All rights reserved.