MENU

D. Edwards - J. Gurvey House


D. EDWARDS - J. GURVEY HOUSE

‚Äčgurvey


pic
Delia Gurvey, in front of her house at Sweezeytown, located south of Whiskey Rd. and east of Sweezeytown, circa 1900, Davis Erhardt Collection


This house was located about 500 ft. north of the upper Swezeytown pond.

The farm of about 90 acres was sold to "Delia Gurvey wife of Michael Gurvey and John K. Gurvey" of New York City on June 7, 1869 for $ 5,000 by Louisa and Milton Pease, formerly of New York City. The Peases had purchased the property from Jehial J. Edwards April 20, 1867 for $ 2,300.

According to the 1870 census it was occupied at that time by Michael Gurvey age 52, Adelia age 35, and John age 24.

Michael was born in Canada and Adelia in Ireland. Michael died in 1873 and is the only Gurvey buried in the Middle Island cemetery. Richard Bayles surveyed the farm in 1915 and referred to it as the Gurvey farm. It was probably sold that year. By 1970 the farm was owned by Shencavicz and about half of it had been sold off in smaller parcels.

Brookhaven Town Records dated July 17th, 1875 show that.
The commissioners of Highways by an order dated March 13th, 1871 laid out a public highway from the Whiskey Road south between the land of Elbert J. Swezey on the West and the lands on the East side of which Delia Gurvey was a joint owner. Delia Gurvey states that the road ran partly through her land causing her fence to be removed back on her land and a release made that day was not signed by her and she received no compensation. She agrees to release this land for the sum of ten dollars and acknowledges receipt thereof on July 17th 1875.

Written by
Mr. Donald Bayles
September, 2000

Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2018 West Corporation. All rights reserved.