MENU

B. Hutchinson House


HUTCHINSON HOUSE IN MIDDLE ISLAND


hutch
Hutchinson House. Longwood Public Library, Thomas R. Bayles Collection CS 28A-18


2
Hutchinson Home, opposite Longwood Public Library. Courtesy of Queensborough Public Library.


Benjamin Tuthill Hutchinson was the son of Benjamin and Elizabeth Hutchinson. He was born up the hill at the old homestead on March 2, 1808, married (1) Louisa D. Youngs Dec. 9, 1835 and (2) Minerva Overton May 17th, 1840. He died Sept. 25, 1877 and Minerva died in 1904. They had the following children with dates of birth shown.

  • Benjamin F. Oct. 11, 1836
  • Elbert Feb. 19, 1841
  • Cynthia June 2, 1843 unmarried
  • Francis Jan. 13, 1845 mar. Eliza Hopkins
  • Edwin May 8, 1847 mar. Clara J. Brown
  • George H. July 19, 1849 unmarried
  • Henry P. Oct. 11, 1851 mar. Kate Risley
  • Mary E. Aug. 11, 1853 unmarried

Benjamin T. Hutchinson had an Uncle John Hutchinson who married Polly Davis Oct. 8, 1814. That year John bought the farm on the East Side of the old Hutchinson homestead. John and Polly lived there until May 1826, when they moved to New York City. Benjamin T. returned to Middle Island in 1830 after several years in New York City and on April 21, 1834 bought the farm from his Uncle John. The 100-acre farm was bounded as follows:

  • South by the Country Road
  • West by land of Benjamin Hutchinson
  • north by land of Gershom Hawkins
  • east by Millers Place Road

Benjamin T. became postmaster of Middle Island May 6, 1834 and established the post office in his house. He was Brookhaven Town Clerk in 1848 and 1849, Suffolk County Clerk 1850-1853, and Town Clerk again from 1860 until his death in 1877. After his death his daughter Cynthia was appointed postmaster. Cynthia lived alone in the house and was found dead there Nov. 11, 1909.

After Cynthia's death the woodland was sold to LeRoy Realty Co. in New York City and a subdivision map of the land was filed in the County Clerk's office. The remainder of the property and house was eventually sold to the Kogel brothers who began excavating the sand to produce concrete.

hut
In the late 1940s the house was taken down,
oven

hut

Click Here to See Article About This Home

Information compiled by,
Mr. Donald Bayles, local historian

Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2018 West Corporation. All rights reserved.