MENU

Minnie and Grace Davis House


MINNIE AND GRACE DAVIS HOME


MINNIE
Minnie and Grace Davis Home, Photo from E. Davis circa 1895


The Squire Lester Davis home was built of brick in 1841. He and his wife Harriet (Woodhull) Davis raised their seven children in this house. The home was located north of Middle Country Road and west of Winfield Davis Drive.

Its structural system was masonry load bearing walls. The walls of the house on the first floor were one foot thick. The walls on the second floor were six inches thick. The house had five fireplaces, three on the first floor and two on the second floor.

Many alterations were made to the house. In 1887 the summer kitchen was moved forward and attached to the house. Then in 1915 the front porch, which was small, was removed and a larger one added. In 1945 a rear dormer was added to the attic. Included with the property was a barn built about 1890. The East end of the barn was used as a carriage house.

The Minnie and Grace Davis House had a couple of things that made it important and historical. The house was a great example of mid-nineteenth century architecture. Most of its historical importance came from Squire Lester Davis. He was the Justice of the Peace. As Justice of the Peace he held court in the north end of the dinning room.

Unfortunately a fire destroyed this house. The fire occurred in 1991. Apparently some homeless people were living there illegally and set it on fire. Whether it was on purpose or accident no one knows.

People involved with the house

Squire Lester Davis was born on April 9, 1813 and died Feb. 28, 1890. Squire Davis married Harriet Woodhull (1819-1888) and together they had seven children. One son was Samuel Davis who served as an officer on the USS Kearsarge during the Civil War. While on the Kearsarge Davis caught Yellow Fever and died March 21, 1866.

Another son E. Everett Davis (1860-1943) became the next owner of the house. He married Margaret Stein (1867-1960) and raised three children, Minnie, Grace, and a son Woodhull. Minnie was born in 1888 and Grace in 1893. Neither Minnie nor Grace ever married. Both became teachers in the Coram school system and became involved members of the Coram community. After some years in Coram they moved to Yonkers to continue their teaching careers. When they retired they moved back to the Coram house. Here they spent the rest of their lives with Minnie dying at age 97 in 1985 and Grace at age 93, 1986. Both are buried in the Union Cemetery in Middle Island next to their parents.
GRACE
Minnie and Grace Davis


 

A Visit to the Davis House



Information compiled by,
Amanda Ponwitz
Erica Gonzales
Special thanks to Minnie and Grace's nephew Mr. Sherman Davis for all his help

Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2018 West Corporation. All rights reserved.