MENU

J. Overton House


J. OVERTON HOUSE


joverton
Located on the west side of Rte. 112, by the intersection of Old Town Road. 1973


joverton1

J. Overton House 2006
1966
Overton house in 1966.

This surviving home appears on the 1797 Hulse map. It was the house of John Overton, born in 1747 and died in 1807. During the Revolution he signed the Association June 8, 1775, and served in Colonel Josiah Smith's 1st Regiment of Minutemen of Suffolk County.
He married Lois Hammond, the daughter of Rev. Noah Hammond. Their children were

1. Anna born March 1776, died June 11, 1852
2. Elizabeth
3. Noah, b. March 9, 1784; died Jan. 12, 1858
4. Joshua, b. Dec. 5, 1788; died Jan. 10, 1872
5. Charles, b. about 1791
6. Methusaleh, b. Jan. 10, 1795/6; died Nov. 10, 1834

Methusaleh was the next to own the house. Methusaleh married Sarah Still on August 29, 1818. They had one child John Hammond who was born on Jan. 1, 1827 and died in 1914. John was married twice, first to Caroline Emmons, who died in 1862 after ten years of marriage. His second marriage was to Amelia Roberts in 1864. This marriage produced one child John Ellis who was born Feb. 12, 1856 and died June 10, 1936.

The house appears as J. Overton in the 1858 Chace map, and as J. Overton in the 1873 Beers-Comstock map.Their home was in Coram near the intersection of Old Town Road and Rte. 112. The home still stands today.

 

  

Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2018 West Corporation. All rights reserved.